How to start a fire
Practice and learn how to start a fire under different conditions and with different fire starting techniques. Back to "How to make a fire"
Fire starting methods
There are many different fire-starting methods, but they all fall into two categories: modern and primitive methods. Modern starting methods include matches, artificial flint strikers, butane lighters or convex lenses. Primitive fire starting methods include flint&steel, a fire plow and a bow&drill. All primitive methods require a lot of practice to manage.
Start a fire with matches
· Always carry waterproof matches with you. Every match you have is like gold. One match for one fire!
· Make sure you have gathered together all thematerials you need before lighting the fire.
· Always light your campfire from the upwind side,shield your fire area with your body or make a windshield with your jacket or other gear before lighting your fire.
· Carefully light the tinder. When the tinder start to burn, use the same match and try to light the tinder on the opposite side.
· Add more tinder slowly, then kindling, and build your fire up gradually.
Fire starting tips
Want to see some more tips how to start a fire? Click here. . .
Back to: Wilderness survival skills homepage