Homemade survival kit
by Jace Mullen
Jace's super cool survival kit:
I have made a survival kit that fits in two large plastic bags (ziplock). These can be used for many things.
- One bag has two heavy (I mean super heavy four mil thick) plastic barrel liners for shelter/ solar still.
- 1 space blanket (the cheap, silvery ones)
- One real space blanket, 12 ounces, grommet, BRIGHT red
- 100' of seven strand parachute cord.
In a hard pencil case:
- a lighter
- some non-waxed old fashioned dental floss
- a hank of jute twine (tinder)
- a flint and steel (you know, the ones with magnesium)
- a match box filled with strike any were matches
- NATO lifeboat matches
- a three foot drinking tube
- tincture of iodine for water purification and wounds
- two non lubricate condoms for water collection
- bandanna for holding water filled condoms and also for bandanna-y things
- 5' of yellowy - green surveyors tape for marking my path
- whistle for signaling
- pj soaked cotton balls for fire starting can also be used as chap-stick
- fresnel lens for fire starting
- flashlight with 2 fresh sets of batteries
- brand new Mora knife in Carbon Steel for fire starting and tasks that require a knife
- signal mirror for signaling, can also be used to see wounds on face/back
- two snickers bars
I also carry a first aid kit in my pack along with another 100' of para cord and other camping stuff.
I have, right now in my kit eight ways of fire starting (including tinder) :
*petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls
*CARBON STEEL knife for if I find flint or quartzite
*magnesium bar and ferro cerium insert with hacksaw blade
See? Count them up all eight.
This is my adapted version of Cody Lundin's kit, which can be found in "98.6 degrees “. The art of keeping your ass alive"
Prepare to be a wilderness survivor.